In the COVID-19 era, a lot of what we used to do out in public now has to be done at home. Exercise and strength training is no exception. You can buy free weights or fancy exercise equipment, but many people are turning to a simpler and more practical solution: resistance bands. If you’re looking to pick up your first set, you’re finding there’s a dizzying array of choices on the market. Even if you’re an experienced band user, it’s still worthwhile to take another look at today’s options.
Resistance bands are good for building muscles and improving coordination for people of all strength and skill levels. Some experts suggest they’re just as effective as weights in stimulating muscle response.
There’s a wide variety of band styles available, including double bands, figure eights and other exotic variations. For beginners, the plain ones are better. Usually they come in sets with bands of different strengths. That’s good; you really should have more than one level of resistance at the ready. Some are loops and others are straight, and the latter sometimes come with hooks and handles for the ends. These may be detachable so you can move them from one band to another. If these extras aren’t included you can buy them separately.
Resistance bands are inexpensive. Even the best ones cost far less than a gym membership or a large piece of home exercise equipment. They’re light, don’t take up much space and are great for travel. You can use them privately or with a friend.
So what are you waiting for? Take a look at this list of 10 best resistance bands and get started on the most accessible exercise program around!
|Top||Fit Simplify Resistance Loop Exercise Bands for Home Fitness, Stretching, Strength Training, Physical Therapy, Workout Bands, Pilates Flexbands, Set of 5||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||Renoj Resistances Bands, Exercise Bands Set for Exercise Band [11 Pack]||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||Te-Rich Resistance Bands for Legs and Butt, Fabric Workout Bands, Women/Men Stretch Exercise Loops, Thick Wide Non-Slip Gym Bootie Band 3 Set for Squat Glute Hip Training||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||Resistance Band Set - Include 5 Stackable Exercise Bands with Waterproof Carrying Case, Door Anchor Attachment, Legs Ankle Straps and Workout Guide||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||Whatafit Resistance Bands Set (11pcs), Exercise Bands with Door Anchor, Handles, Waterproof Carry Bag, Legs Ankle Straps for Resistance Training, Physical Therapy, Home Workouts||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||Recredo Booty Bands, Non Slip Resistance Bands for Legs and Butt, Workout Bands Exercise Bands Glute Bands for Women, 3 Pack - Training Ebook and Video Included||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||SPRI Xertube Resistance Bands Exercise Cords w/Door Attachment, Yellow, Very Light||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||Letsfit Resistance Bands Set, Exercise Bands with Handles, Training Tubes with Door Anchor & Ankle Straps for Resistance Training, Physical Therapy, Home Workout, Yoga, Pilates Stackable up to 150 lb||Prime||Buy Now|
|Top||OlarHike Resistance Bands Set, Exercise Workout Bands with Handles for Women & Men, 5 Stackable Resistance Bands with Door Anchor, Ankle Straps, Carrying Case for Working Out, Fitness Training, Yoga||Prime||Buy Now|
|SB SOX Resistance Bands Set for Men & Women – Best Workout/Exercise Bands That Don’t Roll Up – Perfect Exercise Equipment for Your Home Gym – Easy to Use, Works Great, Very Durable Elastic (Original)||Prime||Buy Now|
1. Fit Simplify
These are simple, inexpensive looping bands. They’re 2 inches by 12 and come in a pack of 5 varying resistance levels, marked and color coded. Choice of 5 distinct colors or 5 shades of pink. Fit Simplify bands are 100 percent natural latex. They’re good for sports, fitness and all kinds of popular workout programs. A carrying pouch is included.
- Lightweight and take up little space.
- Some have found them surprisingly long-lasting for the price.
- More prone to snapping than heavier bands.
- Tend to roll up.
- Size may not be suitable for taller people.
If you want to try out resistance bands with little cost, this is a good place to start.
Error: Unknown Link Type
A kit of 5 straight tube-style bands and 3 sets of different styles of handles. The handles attach to the steel buckles on the ends of the bands. The band resistances are listed at 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 pounds. Travel pouch included.
- Useful assortment of handles and a guide on how to use them.
- Skin-friendly latex material.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Strength of bands may be less than specified. For example, the 25 pound band may not offer as much resistance as a 25 pound weight.
A good set at a reasonable price.
High resistance looped “bootie bands” intended for working legs and glutes. Flat and extra wide. Come in a set of 3 different resistances. Black and two shades of gray fabric.
- Fabric does not roll or slide.
- Strong enough for large muscle workout.
- Take up little space.
- Not a good general band for all muscle groups.
- Stiffness may limit range of motion.
- Hard to use for large people and folks with bigger calves.
These may not meet all your resistance band needs, but they’re good at what they specialize in.
A heavy-duty 5-piece set with the strongest band checking in a 50 pounds of resistance. You can combine these to step up to 150 pounds. Latex tubes with reinforced links and carabiners on the ends.
- A serious package for the hard-core muscle enthusiast.
- Great assortment of accessories including handles, ankle straps and an especially useful door anchor.
- Only one set of handles. Need to be moved each time you use a different band.
- Pricier than the more lightweight sets.
This is not for newcomers to strength training. Serious equipment for serious workouts.
5. What a Fit
Like Fitness Insanity, this product lists its 5 bands as ranging from 10 to 50 pounds of resistance. Includes a door anchor, cushioned handle, ankle strap and a waterproof carrying bag.
- Easy to pack, travel and move.
- Can “stack” all five bands for maximum resistance.
- Complaints of inaccurate band strength rating. For example, the 10 pound plus the 40 pound may offer more resistance than the 50 pound alone.
- Have to stretch bands significantly to get close to the rated resistance.
A good heavy-duty set, though perhaps not as heavy as it claims to be.
These are specifically described as “glute bands for women.” They’re flat, looping fabric bands that are designed to retain their elasticity even after repeated use. The three bands in the set are pink, purple and soft green. You can also get them in a less feminine white, gray and black.
- Don’t ride up and down but stay in place.
- Come in colors her boyfriend is unlikely to borrow.
- Complaints of unpleasant smell out of the box. (It goes away.)
- May be better for strong legs than for beginners.
These are specialized bands for legs and glutes and would be best as a supplement to a more all-purpose set.
7. SPRI Xertube
These don’t come as a set, but each strength is sold separately. They consist of a long tube with a handle on each end. A door anchor is sold separately. They come in five resistances from “very light” to “ultra heavy.”
- Buy exactly what you want. If you’d like two of the same strength, you don’t need to buy two sets.
- Resilient and long-lasting.
- The lighter bands are shorter but feel closer in resistance to heavier ones because they stretch more.
- If you want a new resistance, you have to purchase another band.
Good rugged bands. If you know specifically what you want, you don’t have to own the ones you don’t need.
Five tubes rated from 10 to 50 pounds with attachments for handles on the ends. The set includes handles, ankle straps, a door anchor and a traveling bag.
- Sturdy carabiners on the ends of the tubes
- Comfortable padded ankle straps.
- May not offer as much resistance as specified. The 50 pound band might require less work than a 50 pound weight.
- A “new carpet smell” out of the box.
These cost less than the other 10-50 pound heavy-duty bands but may not offer as much resistance.
Another 10-50 pound set of five bands with attachable handles, door anchor and ankle straps. Carrying bag and workout guide included.
- A good buy, on the lower end of the price range for this style of set.
- Long handle strap can rub against forearms.
- May need stronger handles.
A good price for this type of resistance band kit.
10. SB SOX
A set of five looping resistance bands ranging from “X-Light” to “X-Heavy.” Comes with a PDF guide.
- About as low a price as you can find for resistance bands.
- Light and small. You can put several in a pocket.
- Thin and have a tendency to roll up.
- Paper instructions would be nice in addition to the PDF.
The bottom of the line as far as bands are concerned. If you’re looking to try bands out, these will work.