One of the fun things about a front load washer is that you get to see what’s going on inside. Sure, some modern top loads have a glass door, but it’s not the same looking down at your wash. You can’t really see it tumble.
Most of today’s washing machines load from the top, but there are still some advantages to front loaders. They’re generally gentler on clothes and produce a cleaner wash. They’re a necessity for a person who is in a wheelchair or who has to sit. Someone who isn’t very tall might find it hard to empty a top load.
Front load washers aren’t without drawbacks. They tend to have a higher initial cost (though you might get some of this back with water and energy savings). With most of them, the door locks once it’s running, so you can’t toss in that last-minute item of clothing once you’ve pressed start.
Also, front load washer mold and mildew can be a problem, but it’s a preventable one. You risk mold when you use the wrong detergent or too much detergent or fabric softener, or when you leave the drum and gaskets wet. To keep mildew and mold at bay, wipe out the door and gasket after each use and run an empty cycle each month with bleach or a specialty cleaner.
A great advantage of font loads is their flexibility for use in small or oddly shaped spaces. They come in compact versions, many of which are stackable with a matching dryer. That makes them great for small apartments, closets and mobile homes. They’re a favorite among RV aficionados.
Here are 10 front load washing machines you might consider. Some are for folks who have limited space and others for those who just want to enjoy the advantages of a front loader.
|Crossover Non-Metered 120 Volts Front Load Washer 3.5 Cu. Ft. Professional Quality, heavy duty bearings, seals and suspension for super-long, reliable life. Low maintenance.||Prime||Buy Now|
|Equator Stackable Set EW824N(1.6 cu.ft)+ED850 (3.5 cu.ft.)||Prime||Buy Now|
|Westland Sales ARWXF129WNA Splendid Compact Washer||Prime||Buy Now|
|Electrolux White Compact Front Load Laundry Pair with EFLS210TIW 24" Washer and EFDE210TIW 24" Electric||Prime||Buy Now|
|Electrolux EFLS627UTT 27 Inch Front Load Washer with 4.4 cu. ft. Capacity, in Titanium||Prime||Buy Now|
|LG WM1388HW 2.3 Cu. Ft. White Stackable Front Load Washer - Energy Star||Prime||Buy Now|
|White Front Load Laundry Pair with WAT28400UC 24 Washer and WTG86400UC 24 Electric Dryer||Prime||Buy Now|
|LG Graphite Steel Front Load Laundry Pair with WM8100HVA 29" Washer and DLEX8100V 29" Electric Dryer||Prime||Buy Now|
The Crossover is a professional grade machine that can all the washing you want to throw at it. It’s not huge at 3.5 cubic feet, but it has heavy duty seals, suspension and bearings and will last a long time. It’s often found in apartment laundry rooms, vet clinics, salons and other places where it’s expected to keep cranking out the loads all day long and day after day.
- Commercial reliability.
- Easy to operate.
- Higher price than most residential machines.
- Sometimes doesn’t dispense all the fabric softener and leaves residue.
This may be most often used commercially, but the individual homeowner with a steady flow of laundry will appreciate the durability of this machine.
This beauty has it all: great looks, large capacity, an odor blocking system and wifi controls. A special venting system and antimicrobial technology keep laundry smelling great. There are 12 wash cycles, 10 wash options and 5 temperatures.
- Odor blocking system.
- SmartDispense stores and dispenses detergent.
- One step wash and spin limits needed drying time.
- High price.
- Controls do it all but may not be intuitive.
It’s pricier than most, but it can do everything you want out of a front load washer.
This is available with a companion dryer, and when you stack both units they top out at only 59 inches. It’s not high capacity – the load limit is 13 pounds – but the loads it can handle it does well, and without using a lot of energy or water. It’s winterizable, so it’s suitable for RVs and summer-only mobile homes. Limited size doesn’t mean limited functionality; there are 12 programmable features.
- Compact size suitable for many constrained spaces.
- Loads of features, including angled door handle, child lock, delay start and automatic water level.
- Can do only small loads.
- The manufacturer, Equator Advanced Appliances, may not be as responsive as some better known companies.
Like the Equator, another favorite of RVers. It has a number of special cycles including Lightly Soiled which completes a wash in 15 minutes. Fits in tight spots but can handle loads up to 15 pounds.
- Ideal for RVs and other limited spaces.
- Great list of features, including 13 cycle choices, delay start, super wash, extra rinse and wrinkle reduce.
- Limited load size.
- Some reports of spin cycle rumbling and control board quality problems.
A great, flexible choice for full-time RVers and others with space constraints. Small but does a lot.
This 4.5 cubic foot steam washer works well and has a ton of features. Stain removal is its calling card. Steam penetrates the fabric and loosens stains. There’s an internal water heater to keep the temperature high for top results.
- Stain removal guide and multiple stain removal settings for blood, tomato, coffee, wine, dirt, grass and more.
- Spins so well you may not always need the dryer.
- Tumble Care keeps tumbling finished wash periodically for up to 8 hours if you’re not around to move laundry to the dryer.
- Some complaints about unbalancing and noisy spin, especially on high settings.
An excellent all around washer, and an especially good choice if you frequently find yourself combating stains.
This Electrolux releases steam from the bottom to fight stains. If claims to remove almost all bacterial and household allergens. It has a 2.4 cubic feet capacity and is great for small spaces.
- Fits in those tight spots.
- A surprisingly large number of settings for a small machine.
- Limited wash capacity.
- Some consumers find the user interface confusing.
A good choice if you need to fit a small space but want some of the features of a larger machine.
The big brother to the Electrolux compact, this 4.4 cubic foot washer has 9 cycles, 5 temperatures and 5 soil levels. The manufacturer’s LuxCare optimizes temperature and water levels, and SmartBoost maximizes detergent effectiveness. Options include fast wash, stain soak and sanitize.
- 15 minute fast wash cycle.
- Attractive titanium color.
- Several complaints of leaking.
- Spotty service history.
There are more quality complaints from customers than with some of the other machines.
A small machine with a lot of options. Fits into a niche as small as 28 inches deep and 25 wide. 9 wash cycles and 10 options, including a sanitary cycle and a water plus option.
- Compact size.
- Simplicity of use.
- Only a 2.3 cubic foot capacity.
- Preset cycles don’t allow a lot of opportunity to change individual settings.
A good steady unit if you can work with the limited size.
There’s a matching dryer available for this stackable. It features quick wash, and allergen cycle and 15 total cycles.
- Stackable unit to fit in many constrained spaces.
- A quiet machine.
- Limited capacity. 2.2 cubic feet is small even for a compact.
Mixed reviews from consumers on this unit. Some have been extremely happy, while others complain of vibrations and other issues.
A super capacity 5.2 cubic feet washer with an available matching dryer. Stainless steel drum, 13 options, 14 programs and 5 temperature settings.
- A large washer for heavy loads
- Steam cleaning technology for odors and stains.
- Doesn’t require much detergent.
- Some complaints about LG resolving quality problems.
Lots of features and the ability to handle bedding, towels and jumbo loads.